Friday, April 18, 2008

Captain's Corner: Home opener vs. Atlantics 4/13


Each week, we will catch up with Team Captain Matt "Howitzer" Lungariello (pictured above) on his thoughts regarding the game of the week. Last weekend, at the 2008 Seaside Park home opener, the Orators split a double-header with the visiting Brooklyn Atlantics.

Captain Howitzer wasn't at the game. But, I figured I'd break him for the season ahead and test him on his media skills:


KEEP IT VINTAGE: How about a few questions on the game this last weekend?
HOWITZER: I wasn't there maybe you should talk to the other captains...

KIV: What are your thoughts on the split?
HOWITZER (takes sophisticated tone): It was a good start to the year. This team beat us up early last year and handed us one of our most lopsided losses of the season. We have made huge steps in the last 12 months.

KIV: How did the new guys look to you?
HOWITZER: Mark, you know I wasn't there, remember you and me were both at a christening...

KIV: I SAID HOW DID THE NEW GUYS LOOK?
HOWITZER (clears throat): The new guys look great. They need some more time playing the game of "base ball," but you can see that they have skills in baseball. The only way to improve and adjust to the vintage game is to show up every weekend.

KIV: Would you categorize this as a good start to the season?
HOWITZER: Yeah, I would. Taking one is huge for us, and it's great to give a win on Opening Day to the home town fan. For the first time in our team's short history, we can say that we are a .500 ball club.

KIV: Predictions for the year?
HOWITZER: I think if we can play solid defense, we will be in a position to win every game. We can hit with any team out there, but what separates teams in this league is being able to field your positions. You won't win many games if you can't stop the other guys from scoring.

KIV: I was wondering - Could you name me a coach? I was thinking I could be the beer conditioning coach if there's an opening.
HOWITZER: No.

No comments: